LNS Services is an industrial construction and maintenance contractor that delivers value-added engineering, project management, and construction services to materials-handling, manufacturing, forestry, and other industrial and commercial sectors. We primarily install and maintain machinery and related structural steel work for container ports, bulk material terminals and heavy industrial manufacturing plants - mostly within the Vancouver Lower Mainland.
We are looking for a team member to fill the position of Construction Superintendent for our operations in the Vancouver Lower Mainland. In this position you will be a leader in providing direction to our skilled trades and construction staff in the field, and coordinating their responsibilities and activities on multiple sites.
- Execute construction activities on industrial sites, with an emphasis on bulk material handling projects with a typical value of $100k – $5m
- Lead, direct and mentor field crews, foremen, charge-hands and other project staff, ensuring that each team member has the knowledge, skills, tools and resources to meet project goals
- Identify efficient construction execution methodologies by liaising with engineers, tradespeople, clients and project managers, while ensuring that the project schedule and budget is met
- Ensure that LNS delivers on its promises, consistently executing quality projects and maintaining NorLand’s high standard of health and safety
- Maintain excellent relationships with the customer and other contractors, communicating effectively and generally making LNS Services a pleasure to work with
- Solve problems in a fast paced environment under the constraint of tight construction schedules
- Ensure the consistent and fair application of all labour relations policies and procedures
Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in pre-tender site visits, scope of work evaluations and support project estimators in developing estimates
- Review site conditions and project documents to fully understand project scope of work, quality, safety and environmental requirements - with support from our engineers and project managers.
- Develop and maintain detailed work execution plans, manpower schedules, tool & equipment lists to meet or exceed schedule, cost and quality goals
- Monitor each project’s scope of work and obtain compensation when changes occur
- Work with our dispatcher to ensure that appropriate crews are provided to meet the needs of each project
- Complete site-specific safety hazard assessments and prepare risk management plans, with support from our safety group
- Monitor site safety procedures and documentation to ensure adherence to NorLand’s standards. Take a leading role in any near miss or incident investigations
- Monitor quality and our adherence to project specific inspection and testing plans, taking corrective actions if quality issues occur
- Evaluate IFC drawings for fabrication and installation deficiencies
- Meet with existing and potential clients and develop new project opportunities
- 10+ years of experience as an installation contractor in heavy industry, preferably bulk materials handling
- Exposure to plant facilities, commodity ports and terminals, heavy equipment/machinery or maintenance of facility operating equipment
- Experience in operating port terminals in Vancouver working with various materials such as potash, sulphur, coal, grain and agri-products is considered a strong asset.
- Technical and practical knowledge to develop feasible and effective solutions for typical installation/execution constraints.
- Red Seal Millwright and/or a Mechanical Engineering diploma is an asset; however, some millwright experience is required
- The desire to continuously improve your teams knowledge, engagement and work satisfaction
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office software (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Completion of formal safety training (Construction Safety Training Systems, Safety Excellence, Construction Safety for Supervisors) along with current level 1 First Aid
- Completion of formal supervisory training program (Practical Leadership Tools for Front Line Supervisors/Better Supervision/Supervisory & Management Skills).
- Valid B.C Driver’s Licenses, with safe driving record
LNS Services is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in our recruitment and hiring practices